We believe the primary responsibility for financing education lies first with the student and their family. Financial aid programs are designed to provide support to eligible individuals who have the ability to benefit from training and who, without assistance, would be unable to afford to attend.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students who are seeking financial assistance should start the process now. Begin by completing your 2018 – 2019 FAFSA application at www.fafsa.ed.gov for classes be ginning July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019. Your 2016 tax information will be required. First Coast Technical College School Code 012544
IF YOU’RE UNABLE TO UPLOAD YOUR TAX INFORMATION INTO THE IRS IMPORT TOOL, PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU (OR PARENTS, IF DEPENDENT) WI LL HAVE TO PROVIDE AN OFFICAL IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT.
Once your application has been completed and First Coast Technical College has been listed on your application, it will take 3 – 5 days for the Financial Aid office to be able to see your FAFSA report. Log on to your FAFSA account and check your SAR (Student Aid Report) for errors and/or required verifications.
To connect with a Financial Aid Advisor, email [email protected] and be sure to provide your contact information within the email.
FIRST COAST TECHNICAL COLLEGE DOES NOT PROCESS LOANS
Starting Your FAFSA
If you are NEW to the FAFSA:
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Click the green “Start a New FAFSA” button.
- Enter your (the student’s) FSA ID (username and password) on the left side
- Create a save key. This is a temporary password which to log in and create a permanent password.
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Click the green “login” button to login and view your existing account.
- Much of your information will be carried forward from last year. You will be able to review that information and update it as needed.
- Your income and tax information won’t be carried over, but you can easily transfer the information from the IRS in the “Financial Information” section. Just select that you’ve “Already completed” your 2016 taxes, then click “Link To IRS.”
- Once you are done entering your information, sign and submit the form. You aren’t done until you reach the “Confirmation Page,” which you should read and save for your records.
After you receive your second email from FAFSA stating that you have a SAR, log back into FAFSA and check your SAR for corrections and verification. If you have a verification, go to www.irs.gov/pub/irs – pdf/f4506t.pdf to obtain a 4506 – T (your official Tax Filer or Non – Tax Filer form). For questions, call (800) 4FED – AID or (800) 433 – 3243.
Selection for Verification
If you are selected for verification, you will be notified by our Financial Aid Advisor. You and/or your parents may be required to provide additional documents that may be requested by the IRS. These documents may include official tax transcripts, diploma, school transcripts, SNAPS, chi ld support, SSI, SSA, etc. If the IRS import feature is not used, you will be required to provide an official Tax Transcript from the IRS. COPIES OF TAX FILING FORMS FROM YOUR TAX PREPARER OR COPIES OF W – 2’S ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
How to Obtain Official Tax Transcripts
- Request/download your Tax Transcript online at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.
- If you would like your tax transcripts to be faxed or make an appointment at your local IRS office, call the IRS at 1 – 844 – 545 – 5640 (Press 1 for English and 1 again to speak to a representative). You must be standing by the fax and verify that you have received all pages. FCTC fax (904) 429 – 9646
- Mail or fax Form 4506 – T to the IRS at (855) 821 – 0094
Internal Revenue Service, RAIVS Team
Stop 6705 P – G
Kansas City, MO 64999
- Form 4506 – T, 2016 Tax Transcript – if you filed taxes and were unable to use the IRS Tax Import Tool to import your tax information www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Form 4506 – T, 2016 Tax Form W – 2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series – If you worked but did not file taxes www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Form 4506 – T, 2016 Non – filing Transcript – If you did not work www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- For further assistance, https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/
For additional information, please view these helpful Financial Aid Tutorial Videos.