Air Conditioning & Heating Technician
- HVAC Technician Link – More Detailed Information
- Job Description
This is skilled craft work in the installation, operation, maintenance, overhaul, and repair of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating systems. The work requires a knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used in installing, operating, maintaining, overhauling, and repairing air conditioning, refrigeration and heating systems which is learned through training and job experience. Contacts require courtesy, tact, and skills in dealing with others. The work is standardized in that tasks are covered by diversified procedures and specialized standards and, because of the changing priorities or different situations, incumbents may vary the sequence of tasks and consider the most appropriate procedures to follow. The work is performed indoors and outdoors where there are some risks and hazards, but they are controllable. Operates power, mechanical and hand tools and motor vehicles. The physical demands consist of walking, standing, sitting, bending, and moving or lifting equipment and tools and include exposure to dust, dirt, and other unpleasant conditions and moving or lifting equipment and tools. May be assigned to work shift hours. The work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are varied and subject to practices and procedures, but the worker is permitted latitude to set priorities subject to superior’s approval.
- Examples of Work
- Installs, operates, maintains, overhauls, and repairs air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating systems.
- Diagnoses system operating conditions using central control or energy management panel.
- Maintains and repairs automatic control circuitry relays and drive equipment.
- Maintains chemical balance in air conditioning water systems through testing and water treatment.
- Monitors air conditioning and heating systems for Performs major overhaul of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating systems.
- Repairs, recalibrates, and maintains electronic controls of energy management systems.
- Performs electrical, plumbing, and construction duties related to air conditioning maintenance, repair and installation.
- Inspects, repairs, and lubricates fans, motors, pumps and duct work.
- Inspects air handling units.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville’s competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the techniques, methods, and procedures used in the installation, maintenance, overhaul and repair of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating equipment.
- Knowledge of the equipment, tools, and materials used in the operation and maintenance of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating equipment.
- Knowledge of liquid petroleum and natural gas systems.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Skill in the care and use of air conditioning and heating systems tools and equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics.
- Ability to perform preventative maintenance of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating system.
- Ability to operate computerized control panels.
- Ability to use various electrical testing equipment.
- Ability to operate power, mechanical and hand tools.
- Ability to read, comprehend, and apply written materials including equipment, instruction and safety manuals.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- A four (4) year combination of education, training and experience involving the operation and maintenance of air conditioning and heating systems.
During the probationary period, must pass a competency examination on liquid petroleum gas equipment conducted by the State Division of Liquid Petroleum Gas Division.
- Must possess or obtain within 12 months a current valid certificate of competency as a Journeyman Class “A” HAR Mechanic license or comparable State of Florida license and must be maintained during employment in this class.
- FL Class E Driver’s License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained.
- City of Jacksonville Public Driver Certification is required prior to appointment and must be maintained.
- The probationary period for this class is six (6) months.
- Depending upon assignment, may be required to obtain specialized certifications. Within 90 days of appointment date to classification, acquire and maintain the appropriate level of Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) certification which corresponds to the job responsibilities. The level will be determined by current CJIS guidelines and may change periodically. Certification is obtained by successfully completing web-based training courses which cover physical security, incident response, the protection of information and other IT specific security threats, vulnerabilities and risks.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net. If basing your qualifications on education, a copy of your college transcript is required with your application. College transcripts for colleges outside the US must be converted to US standards.
The application system works best with Google Chrome web browser. Please try to apply using this browser. Be sure to add coj.net to your safe senders list to ensure you receive email notifications. You may check your application status any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran’s preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran’s preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Attention: Veterans’ Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311
Largo, FL 33778-1630
Email: [email protected]