Automobile and Truck Technician – JSO
- Job Description
Are you looking for a position with a work/life balance? Do you want to earn four weeks off during your first year of employment? Do you want low and no cost health insurance options? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to complete your application now. Work for the city you love!!!
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office is actively seeking an Automobile and Truck Technician.
Did you know that as a City of Jacksonville employee, you would also have 11 paid holidays and a personal leave day as well? In addition, to health insurance, dental, vision, life insurance and flexible spending plans are also available.
This is skilled mechanical work in inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing automobiles and small trucks. The work requires knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair automobiles and small trucks. Contacts require basic courtesy, tact, and effectiveness in dealing with others, and includes contacts to request or provide information, ask questions or obtain clarifications. Work is semi-routine in that tasks are covered by somewhat diversified procedures and precedents, but some latitude is permitted to consider the most appropriate method, technique, or procedure to follow; however, the work also involves differing situations requiring comparison of problem elements to reference points and exercising judgment to match the decision. The work is performed in a controlled environment where there are some risks and hazards, but they are known, predictable, and controllable. Physical demands are moderate and primarily consist of standing, stooping, bending, reaching, climbing, walking at work sites for extended periods of time, and lifting and moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Operates motor vehicles and uses equipment and tools necessary for repairing automobiles and small trucks. Work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are varied and, although subject to instructions and established work routines, the worker is permitted some latitude to set priorities subject to supervisor’s approval.
- Examples of Work
- Inspects, diagnoses, and repairs automobiles and small trucks for mechanical and body defects.
- Performs preventive maintenance such as changing oil and hoses on automobiles and small trucks.
- Performs general engine repair and overhaul such as adjusting clutches, replacing main and connecting rod bearings, etc.
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical systems.
- Performs general mechanical repairs to systems such as fuel systems, exhaust systems, cooling systems, air conditioning, transmission, and front end systems.
- Performs mechanical repairs to diesel or propane powered equipment.
- Road tests utility trucks, vans, and other vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 26,000 pounds to determine whether repairs have been completed.
- Writes service requests and diagnoses mechanical problems.
- Prepares and maintains records on jobs.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville’s competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used to repair automobiles and small trucks.
- Knowledge of standard tools and equipment of the automotive repair trade.
- Knowledge of vehicle electrical systems. Knowledge of the hazards of the work and safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to inspect and determine mechanical repairs needed on vehicles with gas and diesel engines.
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance on automobiles and small trucks.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply repair orders and technical manuals.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to operate utility trucks, vans, and other vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 26,000 pounds.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records.
- Open Requirements/Supplemental Information
- Two years’ of education and/or experience in the general repair and overhaul of automotive equipment.
- A valid Florida Class E Driver’s License is required prior to appointment and must be maintained during employment in this class.
- Must qualify for prior to appointment, obtain, maintain during employment in this class a City of Jacksonville Certification as a Public Driver.
A FULLY COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net. Work history is required for all employment/volunteer work in which qualifications are being based. When meeting/basing qualifications on education, a copy of your college transcript is required with your application. Transcripts do not need to be official, but must state your name, the name of the school, type of degree, classes taken, grades received, and date degree was conferred.
- The probation period for this class is six (6) months.
- Upon appointment to this class, must possess minimum hand tools as required.
- This classification performs safety-sensitive functions and is subject to pre-employment, random and other drug/alcohol testing programs as set forth in the City of Jacksonville’s Drug Free Workplace Policy (0401).
The application system works best with Google Chrome web browser. Please try to apply using this browser. Be sure to add coj.net to your safe senders list to ensure you receive email notifications. You may check your application status any time by logging into your account.
If claiming veteran’s preference, you must attach a DD-214 (Member Form-4 copy) or military discharge papers, or equivalent certification from the Department of Veterans Affairs listing military status, dates of service and character of discharge. You must also attach the Veterans Preference Certification Form and if applicable, the additional forms as noted here: http://www.coj.net/departments/employee-services/veterans-preference
If a candidate believes he or she was not afforded veteran’s preference, he or she may file a written complaint, within 60 calendar days upon receipt of notification of the hiring decision, requesting an investigation to:
Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
Attention: Veterans’ Preference Coordinator
11351 Ulmerton Road, Suite 311-K
Largo, FL 33778-1630
- City of Jacksonville
117 West Duval Street, Suite 100
Jacksonville, Florida, 32202
- (904) 255-5600