Knights Marine and Industrial
Use hand-welding or flame-cutting equipment to weld or join metal components or to fill holes, indentations, or seams of fabricated metal products.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Operate safety equipment and use safe work habits.
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
- Ignite torches or start power supplies and strike arcs by touching electrodes to metals being welded, completing electrical circuits.
- Clamp, hold, tack-weld, heat-bend, grind or bolt component parts to obtain required configurations and positions for welding.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notify supervisors.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding.
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion, or expansion of material.
- Examine work pieces for defects and measure work pieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Lie out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, calipers, and rulers.
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc- cutting equipment.
- Analyze engineering drawings, blueprints, specifications, sketches, work orders, and material safety data sheets to plan layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- Connect and turn regulator valves to activate and adjust gas flow and pressure so that desired flames are obtained.
- Weld separately or in combination, using aluminum, stainless steel, cast iron, and other alloys.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods, applying knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Select and install torches, torch tips, filler rods, and flux, according to welding chart specifications or types and thicknesses of metals.
- Remove rough spots from work pieces, using portable grinders, hand files, or scrapers.
- Position and secure work pieces, using hoists, cranes, wire, and banding machines or hand tools.
- Clean or degrease parts, using wire brushes, portable grinders, or chemical baths.
- Repair products by dismantling, straightening, reshaping, and reassembling parts, using cutting torches, straightening presses, and hand tools.
- Fill holes and increase the size of metal parts.
- Dismantle metal assemblies or cut scrap metal, using thermal-cutting equipment such as flame-cutting torches or plasma-arc equipment.
- Check grooves, angles, or gap allowances, using micrometers, calipers, and precision measuring instruments.
- Gouge metals, using the air-arc gouging process.
- Guide and direct flames or electrodes on or across work pieces to straighten, bend, melt, or build up metal.
- Preheat work pieces prior to welding or bending, using torches or heating furnaces.
- Use fire suppression methods in industrial emergencies.
- Set up and use ladders and scaffolding as necessary to complete work.
- Hammer out bulges or bends in metal work pieces.
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Autonomy – Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Resource Management (People & Equipment) – Ability to obtain and appropriate the proper usage of equipment, facilities, materials, as well as personnel.
- Safety Awareness – Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Technical Aptitude – Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Applied Learning – Ability to participate in needed learning activities in a way that makes the most of the learning experience.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Judgment – The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Reliability – The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience: Six months to one-year related experience
Physical Demands Lift/Carry
Handling / Fingering
Reach Above Shoulder
Squat or Kneel
10 lbs or less
N (Not Applicable)
Over 100 lbs
N (Not Applicable)
12 lbs or less
N (Not Applicable)
Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity from 33% – 66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5+ hrs/day)
Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance, Peripheral, Depth Perception) Sense of Sound (hear alarms and radios)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (hard hats, safety glasses, steeled toed shoes, shields, hoods, sleeves, jackets)
Outdoor Environment, Excessive Heat, Excessive Cold
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $24.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 10 hour shift
- Day shift
Weekly day range:
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability