Sisters of St. Joseph, St. Augustine
Title: Cook Job Group Category: Non-Exempt
Unit: Kitchen Direct Reports: Prep Cook(s)
Reports to: Food Manager
For anyone interested please have them send their application to my attention: Allison Wilson, Food Manager [email protected]
The Sisters of Saint Joseph of St. Augustine, Florida are a congregation of Catholic women living the consecrated life as vowed religious serving the needs of the dear neighbor in Florida. With their Motherhouse in St. Augustine, Florida, the Sisters of St. Joseph are women who, seized by God’s love, work in collaboration with others to bring union and reconciliation to our world, “..that all may be one..” (John 17:21).
They strive to live lives of Gospel values through a variety of ministries of service and through the witness of living together in prayer-centered communities. They have served continuously in Florida since 1866.
The Cook is responsible to prepare planned balanced meals, as directed by Food Manager, within budget while maintaining a safe, hygienic and sanitary environment at all times. Additionally, the Cook must ensure food is prepared safely and that food is stored and disposed of in accordance with generally accepted food handling and food preparation guidelines and regulations.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Prepare, cook and present food to the specifications defined by the Food Manager. Additionally, the Cook shall:
1. Work collaboratively and closely with the Food Manager in an environment requiring several hours of standing.
2. Maintain generally accepted food hygiene practices.
3. Prepare food with Prep Cook(s) in accordance to specifications dictated by the Food Manager’s menu and annual plan.
4. Assist the Food Manager to ensure agreed standards and targets are met at all times.
5. Help Food Manager to maintain necessary inventory counts and kitchen hygiene practices to achieve a safeand cost effective food service.
6. Make sure all kitchen work stations, kitchen equipment, food storage pantries, freezers, refrigerators and coldstorage areas are maintained in accordance with generally accepted food safety standards.
7. Ensure necessary inventory levels are maintained and that ordering takes place as needed.
8. Any other duties as assigned by Food Manager.
1. Must have the ability to clearly identify developing problems using initiative and independent judgement to
make recommendations and/or take immediate corrective action.
2. Ability to communicate with all individuals within the organization – in a manner, which illustrates sensitivity,
tact and professionalism.
3. Attention to detail with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines as required.
4. Must possess a team-player mentality with focus on collaboration skills.
5. Ability to maintain regular attendance.
Years of Experience: At least 2 years within industry.
Valid Food Safety Certification. A culinary certificate is preferred.
Experience with food preparation and cooking and planning skills.
Experience with kitchen maintenance and cleaning
Experience maintaining and ordering stocks and supplies
Experience with menu planning.
Must work well and integrate seamlessly into a team.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, and taste or smell.
The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust and focus.
The work environment described here is representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
I have read this job description and fully understand the requirements set forth therein. I hereby accept the
position of Cook and agree to abide by the requirements set forth and will perform all duties and
responsibilities to the best of my ability. I understand that my employment is at-will and thereby understand
that my employment can be terminated at-will by the organization or myself and such termination can be
made with or without notice.