Guidelines for Florida Residency for Tuition Purposes
Please go to the FCTC Registration Desk to submit your proof of residency. FOR TUITION PURPOSES, STUDENTS MUST PROVIDE 2 DOCUMENTS TO PROVE HE OR SHE HAS BEEN A FLORIDA RESIDENT FOR THE PAST 12 MONTHS. At least one must be from Tier 1.
Tier 1. The documents must include at least one of the following:
- A Florida voter’s registration card.
- A Florida driver’s license.
- A State of Florida identification card.
- A Florida vehicle registration.
- Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence.
- Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
- Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.
- Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a 12-month period.
Tier 2. The documents may include one of the following:
- A declaration of domicile in Florida (1 year after date filed).
- A Florida professional or occupational license.
- Florida incorporation.
- A document evidencing family ties in Florida.
- Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.
- Any other documentation that supports the student’s request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.
Examples of documents NOT ALLOWED:
- Hunting/fishing licenses
- Library cards
- Shopping club/rental cards
- Birth certificate
- Cellular telephone bills
- Social Security Card
If you feel you qualify for Florida residency, but you do not meet the qualifications above, you can submit an appeal at the Registration Desk. The Appeal Committee consists of a representative from the Student Services Office, the Business Office, and the Financial Aid Office. Please remember to provide documentation that supports your claim. (Click HERE for the appeal form.)
For your reference, here is the Florida Statute regarding residency for tuition purposes: