The primary responsibility for financing education lies first with the student and their family. Financial aid programs are designed to provide support to eligible individuals who have the ability to benefit from training and who, without assistance, would be unable to afford to attend.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Students who are seeking financial assistance should start the process now.
|IF YOU ARE ATTENDING
|FILE THIS FAFSA||FILE FAFSA DURING
THIS TIME FRAME
|USE YOUR TAX
|July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023||2022- 2023||October 1, 2021 – June 30, 2023||2020|
|July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024||2023 – 2024||October 1, 2022 – June 30, 2024||2021|
First Coast Technical College’s school code is 012544.
IF YOU’RE UNABLE TO UPLOAD YOUR TAX INFORMATION USING THE DRT (Data Retrieval Tool), PLEASE KNOW THAT YOU MAY HAVE TO PROVIDE AN OFFICIAL IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT. IF YOU ARE A DEPENDENT STUDENT, YOUR PARENTS MAY NEED TO PROVIDE THEIR TAX TRANSCRIPT AS WELL.
Once your application has been completed (First Coast Technical College has been listed on your application), it will take 3 – 5 business days for the Financial Aid office to receive your FAFSA report. You will be contacted at this time by the Financial Aid office. Log on to your FAFSA account and check your SAR (Student Aid Report) for errors and/or required verifications.
To connect with a Financial Aid Advisor, email [email protected] and be sure to provide your contact information within the email.
FIRST COAST TECHNICAL COLLEGE DOES NOT PROCESS LOANS
Starting Your FAFSA
To get started, you will need to gather the following documents:
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s License (if any)
- W-2 forms
- Prior-Prior year federal tax return (dependent students will need parent information)
- Bank Statements
- Investment records
- Untaxed income records
If you are NEW to the FAFSA:
- Create Your FSA ID
- You will need to create a username and password to e-sign your FAFSA.
- A dependent student will also need a parent to create an FSA ID
- Create the FSA ID: www.Fsaid.ed.gov
- Keep your FSA ID in a safe place to use again for each year you complete the FAFSA
- Go to https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa
- Click the green “Start a New FAFSA” button.
- Enter your (the student’s) FSA ID (username and password) on the left side
- Create a save key. This is a temporary password which to log in and create a permanent password.
- Enter the information requested by the application.
- Enter your school choice. FCTC’s school code is 012544.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool located on the application to transfer tax data automatically.
- Sign FAFSA with FSA ID. If you are a dependent student, your parent must sign with their FSA ID as well.
- Click submit.
- Go to www.fafsa.gov
- Click on the FAFSA application year you are applying for.
- Much of your information will be carried forward from last year. You will be able to review that information and update all information on the current application before submitting.
- Your income and tax information won’t be carried over, but you can easily transfer the information from the IRS in the “Financial Information” section. Just select that you’ve “Already completed” your 2018 taxes, then click “Link To IRS. Data Retrieval” DRT
- Sign and submit your application.
- Print “Confirmation Page” for your records.
Call the FAFSA Help Line at (800) 433-3243 for more assistance
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Make corrections if needed
- Contact the financial aid office at (904) 547-3505 if you have additional questions
After you receive your second email from FAFSA stating that you have a SAR, log back into FAFSA and check your SAR for corrections and to see if you were selected for verification.
Selection for Verification
If you are selected for verification, you will be notified by our Financial Aid Office. You and/or your parents may be required to provide additional documents that may be requested. These documents may include official tax transcripts, SNAPS, child support, SSI, SSA, etc. If the IRS import feature is not used, you may be required to provide an official Tax Transcript from the IRS. COPIES OF TAX FILING FORMS FROM YOUR TAX PREPARER OR COPIES OF W – 2’S ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
How to Obtain Official Tax Transcripts
You may request your Tax Transcript at http://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. This site will enable you to request either online or by mail. To order by phone, call (800) 908-9946 and follow the prompts.
If you would like to make an appointment at your local IRS office, call the IRS at 1 – 844 – 545 – 5640 (Press 1 for English and 1 again to speak to a representative).
Internal Revenue Service, RAIVS Team
Stop 6705 P – G
Kansas City, MO 64999
If you are chosen for verification and unable to use the DRT, the following documents will be required. Please be sure to check the appropriate box for the correct item you are requesting. See the chart above for the correct tax year based on your application year.
- Form 4506 – T, Tax Transcript – If you filed taxes and were unable to use the IRS Tax Import Tool to import your tax information www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Form 4506 – T, Tax Form W – 2, Form 1099 series, Form 1098 series – If you worked but did not file taxes www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf
- Form 4506 – T, Non – filing Transcript – If you did not work www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdfFor further assistance, https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/
For additional information, please view these helpful Financial Aid Tutorial Videos.