Financial Aid FAQ

What costs are covered by Financial Aid?

The FCTC Financial Aid Office offers funding for students who are eligible for various grants and programs. Fees like background checks, application fees, assessments, etc., are not covered by these grants and are usually paid for by the student prior to enrollment.

What if I do not have a diploma?

Students who do not have their high school diploma or GED cannot receive financial aid. Federal and State guidelines require that students must show proof of high school completion to establish eligibility for aid.

The following documents can be used to prove the student’s high school completion status:

  • A copy of the student’s high school diploma.
  • A copy of the student’s final official high school transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded.
  • A copy of the student’s General Educational Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript.
  • An academic transcript that indicates the student successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree.
  • If the student was homeschooled, obtain a secondary school completion credential for homeschool from the County School District that authorized completion of requirements.

Students without a diploma or GED are encouraged to contact the FCTC Adult Education Department for information on enrolling for High School Completion or GED Preparation classes.Students can work to obtain their diploma or GED at the same time they are attending their career training classes.

What factors affect my eligibility for aid?

The Dept. of Education’s Federal Methodology measures discretionary resources and protects for necessary basic living costs and then establishes a portion available for education. Below are a list of the factors used to measure your financial need:

  • Number of household members
  • Number of household members in college
  • Earned income
  • Taxes paid
  • Type of tax returns filed
  • Assets, investments
  • Age of oldest parent, age of the independent student
  • Number of wage earners
  • Untaxed income
  • Additional financial information

Principles of Needs Analysis

  • Family has primary responsibility for covering the cost of their child’s education
  • Both students and parents are expected to contribute to the extent that they are able
  • The need should be evaluated for all families in an equitable and consistent manner

If you receive any of the following types of assistance, it may help increase your eligibility

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  • Food stamps
  • Free or Reduced Price School Lunch Program

Is the program I have chosen Pell Grant eligible?

The program must be 600 or more hours to be Pell eligible.

Will I be eligible for Pell if I have a degree?

If you have a Bachelor’s degree or greater, you are not Pell eligible.

How long can I continue to be eligible for a Pell Grant?

There is a Pell eligibility maximum of 600 percent over the course of your lifetime, It is equal to 100% Pell for six years.

Back to top