Our teachers continue to work with their students virtually to assist them in achieving their goals. We’re Here to Help Staff and Department Directory will assist you in starting your journey.
FCTC offers the State of Florida High School Diploma (GED) program for students who do not qualify for or wish to participate in, the High School Completion Program. FCTC is proud that 97% of the students who enroll in our GED Prep Program pass the GED exam.
How long does it take?
The amount of time it takes to complete the GED prep-courses and pass the GED Exam depends largely on the academic level of a student when he/she begins the program and the number of hours the student dedicates to attending class. The majority of students who attend full-time complete their GED within three months of their first day of class.
What is the process?
Before students begin class, they must first attend a 3.5 hour Smart Start session where they will complete a basic assessment of reading and math skills. Students whose basic skills are below the high school level will be enrolled in intensive Adult Basic Education classes to rapidly get them to the high school level. Students who score at or above the high-school level bypass ABE and are enrolled in the GED Prep Classes. See Get Started! below.
ABE/GED Classes are available during the following time periods:
- Monday – Friday 7:00 AM – 10:15 AM
- Monday – Friday 7:45 AM – 11:00 AM
- Monday – Friday 11:45 PM – 3:00 PM
- Monday – Thursday 2:00 PM – 5:15 PM
- Monday – Thursday 5:15 PM – 8:30 PM
Students 16 t0 18 years old:
- Students age 16 to 18 must be legally withdrawn from their high school and present proof of their withdrawal at the time of registration.
- FCTC’s underage GED students are issued an age waiver to take the GED after the student attends the required courses and passes each of the GED Ready tests with a score of at least 145.
- If a student has had their Driver’s License suspended when they withdrew from high school, they are required to attend 160 hours of uninterrupted instruction. FCTC will issue an attendance verification letter to a student to present to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles so the student can request reinstatement of their driving privileges.
- Step 1: Complete your pre-registration application
- Step 2: Review the Smart Start schedule and attend a session at a time most convenient for you. There is no fee or pre-registration required to attend this session.
- Step 3: Go to registration the day after you attend a Smart Start session, pay your $30 tuition which will enable you to start class that day.
Smart Start Schedule
Questions: Adult Ed email or call (904) 547-3434
Prospective students between 16 and 24 years old may qualify for additional financial aid and financial incentives through the Career Navigators Program, including the $30 tuition. Call (904) 547-3466 for details. Additional information is available at Career Navigators.
Explore more through My Career Shines
Unsure of what career is right for you? Do you want to find a job that is fulfilling and exciting? FCTC has partnered with Florida Shines so our students can pave their way to a meaningful and rewarding profession. Florida Shines offers a series of questions that help you decide how your interests align with your future. Educational pathways and job outcomes are available, as well as self-assessment tools and a resume builder.