FCTC offers the State of Florida High School Diploma GED program for students who do not qualify for, or wish to participate in, the High School Completion Program. FCTC is proud that 97% of the students who enroll in our GED Prep Program pass the GED exam.
How long does it take?
The amount of time it takes to complete the GED prep-courses and pass the GED Exam depends largely on the academic level of a student when he/she begins the program and the number of hours the student dedicates to attending class. The majority of students who attend full-time complete their GED within two months of their first day of class.
What is the process?
Before students begin class, they must first attend a 2 hour orientation Smart Start and then take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Students whose TABE scores are below the high school level will be enrolled in intensive Adult Basic Education classes to rapidly get them to the high school level. Students who score at or above the high-school level bypass ABE and are enrolled in the GED Prep Classes.
Students under age 18:
- Students age 16 to 18 must be legally withdrawn from their High School and present proof of their withdrawal at the time of registration.
- Students age 16 to 18 cannot take the GED without an AGE Waiver. FCTC’s underage GED students are issued an age waiver to take the GED after the student attends the required courses and passes each of the GED Ready tests with a score of at least 145.
- Students under age 18 will likely have their Driver’s License suspended when they withdraw from high school. GED Students are required to attend 160 hours of uninterrupted instruction before FCTC will issue an attendance verification letter to a student for presentation to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles so the student can request reinstatement of their driving privileges.
Smart Start Schedule
GED Classes are available during the following time periods:
- Monday – Friday 7:00 AM – 10:00 AM
- Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Monday – Friday 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Monday – Thursday 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Monday – Thursday 5:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Step 1: Complete your pre-registration application
- Step 2: Come to the FCTC Campus, pay your $25 registration fee, and sign up for Smart Start
- Step 3: Attend Smart Start and receive your TABE testing voucher
- Step 4: Schedule and take your TABE at the Test Center
- Step 5: The Adult Ed. Department will contact you to inform you when to come to the campus to pay your $30 tuition fee, get your student ID card and Parking Pass, and begin your courses.
Questions: Adult Ed email or call (904) 547-3434
Prospective Students between 16 and 24 years old may qualify for additional financial aid and financial incentives through the Career Navigators Program, including the $25 registration fee for Smart Start. Call 904-547-3466 for details. Additional information is available at Career Navigators.
Explore more through My Career Shines
Unsure of what Career is right for you? Do you want to find a job that is fulfilling and exciting? FCTC has partnered with Florida Shines so our students can pave their way to a meaningful and rewarding profession. Florida Shines offers a series of questions that help you decide how your interests align with your future. Educational pathways and job outcomes are available, as well as self-assessment tools and a resume builder.