FCTC offers the State of Florida High School Diploma (GED) program for students who do not qualify for or wish to participate in, the High School Completion Program. FCTC is proud that 97% of the students who enroll in our GED Prep Program pass the GED exam.
How long does it take?
The amount of time it takes to complete the GED prep-courses and pass the GED Exam depends largely on the academic level of a student when he/she begins the program and the number of hours the student dedicates to attending class. Some students earn their GED in a few days, while others complete in a few weeks.
What is the process?
Before students begin class, they must create a student account, and complete the GED Intake Assessment Tests that measure reading, math, and language skills. Students whose basic skills are below the high school level will be enrolled in intensive Adult Basic Education classes to rapidly get them to the high school level. Students who score at or above the high-school level bypass ABE and are enrolled in the GED Prep Classes. See Get Started! below.
ABE/GED Classes are available during the following time periods:
- Monday – Friday 7:45 AM – 11:00 AM
- Monday – Friday 11:45 AM – 3:00 PM
- Monday – Thursday 2:00 PM – 5:15 PM
- Monday – Thursday 5:15 PM – 8:30 PM
Students 16 to 18 years old:
- Students age 16 to 18 must be legally withdrawn from their high school and present proof of their withdrawal at the time of registration.
- FCTC’s underage GED students are issued an age waiver to take the GED after the student attends the required courses and passes each of the GED Ready tests with a score of at least 145.
- If a student has had their Driver’s License suspended because they withdrew from high school, they must complete 90 hours of uninterrupted instruction before FCTC will issue an attendance verification letter to request reinstatement of their driving privileges.
- Step 1: Complete your pre-registration application
- Step 2: Call FCTC’s Testing Center at (904) 547-3390 and schedule your free GED Intake Tests. Please arrive 15 minutes early on test day so that you have enough time to complete the paper application.
- Step 3: After you are cleared by Adult Education, visit FCTC’s registration department (Building A) to pay your $30 tuition and start your class.
Questions: Email Adult Education or call (904) 547-3434
Prospective students between 16 and 24 years old may qualify for additional financial aid and financial incentives through the Career Navigators Program, including the $30 tuition. Call (904) 547-3466 for details. Additional information is available at Career Navigators.
Explore more through My Career Shines
Unsure of what career is right for you? Do you want to find a job that is fulfilling and exciting? FCTC has partnered with Florida Shines so our students can pave their way to a meaningful and rewarding profession. Florida Shines offers a series of questions that help you decide how your interests align with your future. Educational pathways and job outcomes are available, as well as self-assessment tools and a resume builder.