Application Instructions

Thank you for choosing FCTC for your education! Please follow the checklist below, which will guide you through the Financial Aid application process.

The first step to obtaining financial aid at First Coast Technical College is completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. For more detailed instructions on completing the form, visit the Federal Student Aid website. There you will find detailed instructions, FAQs, and videos to aid you through the application process.

Please read this information carefully to ensure your application is not delayed. We know that applying for financial aid can be very confusing. Step by step instructions on how to apply are contained in the instructions & forms packet (link below). If you have any questions after reading the packet, please email or call the Financial Aid Office.

Click here to download complete Financial Aid Instructions. Financial aid is awarded based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number, as determined by the Federal Department of Education. Your EFC is calculated when you do the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Applications are selected for verification by the DOE, as well as being subject to verification at the discretion of the FCTC Financial Aid Office.

You can explore several online resources here that will help you understand the application process.

You should submit your paperwork at least 2 weeks before your entry date. Failure to turn in the required income documentation and/or submitting incomplete forms will delay your admission to class. FCTC cannot approve your aid without all of the correct information.

Financial Aid Office | 904.547.3512 or 904.547.3511 Phone | 904.547.3506 Fax | [email protected]

* Important mandatory requirement:


  • Non-Filer Form 2016-17– New regulations from the Dept. of Education require applicants to provide an official IRS copy verifying that their claim of not filing a tax return.

1) Determine if you are a Dependent or Independent student

  • If you are 24 or older, you are an INDEPENDENT student.
  • If you are under 24 years of age and do not meet the Department of Education’s criteria for independent status, you are a DEPENDENT student. Your parents MUST do the application online with you, provide their income information, & sign this forms packet.
    • Will you be 24 or older by Dec. 31 of the school year for which you are applying for financial aid?
    • Will you be working toward a master’s or doctorate degree (M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., etc.)?
    • Are you married or separated but not divorced?
    • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
    • Do you have dependents (other than children or a spouse) that live with you and receive more than half of their support from you?
    • At any time since you turned age 13, were both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or were you a ward or dependent of the court?
    • Are you an emancipated minor or are you in a legal guardianship as determined by a court?
    • Are you an unaccompanied youth who is homeless or self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?
    • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces for purposes other than training?
    • Are you a veteran of the U.S. armed forces?

2) Do your Free Application for Federal Student Aid online

  • If you need assistance, STOP and call 800.433.3243 for help.
  • Go to to get your FSA ID. *Note for students under 24, your parents will need a FSA ID also.
  • Complete the FAFSA Application online.
  • FCTC’s Federal School Code is 012544. (Enter this number and click “add”, or search by name.)
  • If you don’t have a computer, you can use one at our Office or your local library.

3) Submit your paperwork to the FCTC Financial Aid Office

  • FCTC will verify every applicant. Your income must be sufficient to cover basic living expenses. If you claim you have no income, or an income below the poverty level for your household size, you must show how you are able to meet common living expenses. (Extra forms are required for this.) If the income information you submit is not reasonable, we will consider your application incomplete.
  • Bring in your documents to FCTC’s Financial Aid Office, or you can also fax to “Attention Financial Aid” at (904) 547-3506.

*Note on Bookstore purchases

  • Books, uniforms, supplies, etc. are normally paid by the student; please plan accordingly.
  • Students who wish to opt out of charging their Bookstore purchase can indicate such on the certification statement, which is part of the forms packet for Financial Aid.
  • If you want to purchase your books off campus, click here for the list of our books & the ISBN numbers.


  • Students who have a Pell Grant credit balance available can charge their first semester Bookstore purchases against their grant – UP TO THE AVAILABLE CREDIT BALANCE ONLY.
  • If you are eligible for this option, your amount to charge will appear on your award letter, which is issued by the Financial Aid Office.
  • This is for first time students entering a new program.
  • Students can only charge items that their instructor designated as required for first semester.
  • Students are not allowed to charge ALL bookstore items. Students are not allowed to charge any items after they first enroll.
  • Students should plan to pay for all bookstore items that are not covered by their available grant money and/or that are needed after first semester.

What if I do not have a diploma?

Students who do not have their high school diploma or GED cannot receive financial aid. Federal and State guidelines require that students must show proof of high school completion to establish eligibility for aid.

The following documents can be used to prove the student’s high school completion status:

  • A copy of the student’s high school diploma.
  • A copy of the student’s final official high school transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded.
  • A copy of the student’s General Educational Development (GED) certificate or GED transcript.
  • An academic transcript that indicates the student successfully completed at least a two-year program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree.
  • If the student was homeschooled, obtain a secondary school completion credential for homeschool from the County School District that authorized completion of requirements.

Students without a diploma or GED are encouraged to contact the FCTC Adult Education Department for information on enrolling for High School Completion or GED Preparation classes. Students can work to obtain their diploma or GED at the same time they are attending their vocational classes. Schedules are normally half of the day in Adult Education and half of the day in your vocational class. Or, students can attend Adult Education evening classes (when available) after a full day of vocational class. St. Augustine Campus 904.547.3434.

Back to top