Thank you for choosing FCTC for your education! Please follow the checklist below, which will guide you through the Financial Aid application process.
A useful video on how to complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available – CLICK HERE for an overview of how to do your application online. Most students will need to transfer their tax information by linking to the IRS – CLICK HERE for a video that explains how to connect to the IRS while doing your application.
Please read this information carefully to ensure your application is not delayed. We know that applying for financial aid can be very confusing. Step by step instructions on how to apply are contained in the instructions & forms packet (link below). If you have any questions after reading the packet, please email or call the Financial Aid Office.
CLICK HERE to download complete instructions and forms.
CLICK HERE to download the Enrollment Plan Form to guide you through the enrollment process.
You should submit your paperwork at least 2 weeks before your entry date. Failure to turn in the required income documentation and/or submitting incomplete forms will delay your admission to class. FCTC cannot approve your aid without all of the correct information.
Rebecca Pelletier | 904.547.3511 Phone | 904.547.3506 Fax | email@example.com
Von Raburn | 904.547.3512 Phone | 904.547.3506 Fax | firstname.lastname@example.org
* Important mandatory requirement:
APPLICANTS MUST EITHER TRANSFER THEIR IRS INFORMATION DIRECTLY ONLINE WHEN DOING THEIR APPLICATION, OR PROVIDE FCTC WITH AN OFFICIAL IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT.
- If you are unsure whether or not you are required to file a tax return, please CLICK HERE TO REVIEW THE IRS GUIDELINES.
- Request an official IRS tax return transcript - If you were not able to transfer the information, or chose not to do so, you must request an official tax return transcript from the IRS.
- Request official IRS verification of not filing a tax return - New regulations from the Dept. of Education require applicants to provide an official IRS copy verifying that their claim of not filing a tax return.<
1) Determine if you are a Dependent or Independent student
- If you are 24 or older, you are an INDEPENDENT student.
- If you are under 24 years of age, you are a DEPENDENT student. Your parents MUST do the application & turn in paperwork.
- Students under 24 interested in a dependency override should contact our office to discuss their situation before doing their application.
2) Do your Free Application for Federal Student Aid online
- If you need assistance, STOP and call 800.433.3243 for help.
- Go to www.pin.ed.gov to get your PIN. *Note for students under 24, your parents will need a PIN also.
- Go to: www.fafsa.ed.gov to do your application.
- If you start class June 2012 or after, use the 2012/13 application. If you start class June 2013 or after, use the 2013/14 application.
- You will be required to transfer your IRS/tax information directly online. YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR TAXES FILED PRIOR TO COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE. If you are not required to file taxes, be sure to complete the income section of the forms accurately.
- FCTC's Federal School Code is 012544. (Enter this number and click "add", or search by name.)
- If you don't have a computer, you can use one at our Office or your local library.
- If you received child support and/or Social Security, you must provide us with an official statement showing the total amount received. If you start class June 2012 or after, you will need the total for 2011. If you start class June 2013 or after, you will need the total for 2012.
3) Submit your paperwork to the FCTC Financial Aid Office
- Complete the forms packet; click on the link at the top of this page to download. Or, if you do not have a printer, you can pick them up at any FCTC Campus.
- FCTC will verify every applicant.Your income must be sufficient to cover basic living expenses. If you claim you have no income, or an income below the poverty level for your household size, you must show how you are able to meet common living expenses. (Extra forms are required for this.) If the income information you submit is not reasonable, we will consider your application incomplete.
- Bring in your documents to FCTC's Financial Aid Office, or the Registration Desk of the Putnam County Center. You can also fax to "Attention Financial Aid" at 904.547.3506.
4)"Like" the Financial Aid page on Facebook.
This is the most direct way to stay informed about deadlines, payouts, etc. Search for "FCTC Financial Aid Office". Or, CLICK HERE TO DIRECTLY TO THE FACEBOOK PAGE.
*Note on Bookstore purchases
- Books, uniforms, supplies, etc. are normally paid by the student; please plan accordingly.
- Students who wish to opt out of charging their Bookstore purchase can indicate such on the certification statement, which is part of the forms packet for Financial Aid.
- If you want to purchase your books off campus, a list of our books & the ISBN numbers is available on the FCTC website under Admissions, then Consumer Information.
STUDENTS WHO RECEIVE THE PELL GRANT MAY BE ABLE CHARGE A PORTION OF THEIR BOOKSTORE PURCHASE:
- Students who have a Pell Grant credit balance available can charge their first semester Bookstore purchases against their grant – UP TO THE AVAILABLE CREDIT BALANCE ONLY.
- If you are eligible for this option, your amount to charge will appear on your award letter, which is issued by the Financial Aid Office.
- This is for first time students entering a new program.
- Students can only charge items that their instructor designated as required for first semester.
- This is a one time charge that can only be used when you first enter class.
- Students are not allowed to charge ALL bookstore items. Students are not allowed to charge any items after they first enroll.
- Students should plan to pay for all bookstore items that are not covered by their available grant money and/or that are needed after first semester.